In the last update we heard from a letter of Paul to the Thessalonians. This passage is from another one of Paul’s letters to an early Christian community, but this time instead of praising all they have done, Paul is trying to settle disputes in the troubled Christian community in Galatia. Members were disagreeing about whether or not they should still be following all of the old Jewish laws. Paul is trying to explain that Christ brought about freedom from the old ways when the Jewish people were in slavery.
We too live in times where obeying laws is causing confusion and dissent. Laws created by man are attempting to coerce people into denying their religious beliefs. Specifically, there are many current threats to our religious liberty in areas directly affecting us as pro-lifers. To read about some of these threats: http://www.usccb.org/issues-and-action/religious-liberty/current-threats-to-religious-liberty.cfm. Hobby Lobby is awaiting a decision in the next week from the Supreme Court about whether or not they will be forced to provide abortion-inducing drug insurance coverage to their employees which violates their religious beliefs.
As we near the celebration of America’s independence, it is a fitting time to remember that God is the author of our freedom and He demands that we “keep standing firm” against those who try to take that freedom away. In response to this demand, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops is calling for a 3rd Fortnight for Freedom, June 21 – July 4, a two week time of prayer, fasting, and action for religious liberty. Even if you are not a Catholic, you are invited to join in unity for these two weeks, beginning this Saturday, and spend some extra time in prayer for our country, founded as one nation under God indivisible with liberty and justice FOR ALL.
To read more and find prayer resources for the Fortnight: http://www.usccb.org/issues-and-action/religious-liberty/fortnight-for-freedom/index.cfm
VIGIL OPPORTUNITIES FOR THIS WEEK
Here are the vigil times for the remaining FOUR suburban abortion mills owned and operated by abortionist Vinod Goyal (also owns one in Chicago). Please let us know if there are any corrections:
Downers Grove (Access Health, 1700 75th St.)
- Mondays, 7:00 am – 8:30 am
- Thursdays and Fridays, 7:00- 8:00 am
- Saturdays, 5:30 am – 11:00 am
Hinsdale (ACU, 736 N. York Rd.)
- Tuesdays, 7:15 am – 8:30 am
Glen Ellyn (Aanchor Medical, 186 Roosevelt Rd.)
- Wednesdays, 8:00 am – 10:00 am
- Saturdays, 8:00 am – 10:00 am
Wood Dale (Advantage, 203 E. Irving Park Rd.)
- Every 3rd Wednesday, 6:30 am – 8:30 am (Contact Frank: firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Thursdays, 7:00 am – 1:00 pm with NorthWest Families for Life
* Important: God is blessing our efforts, and so Illinois Choice Action Team (ICAT) has been sending escorts to Wood Dale to try to stop counselors from offering women a real choice. If you encounter these escorts, please be kind and courteous, but do not engage. Stay in prayer.
- Fridays, 7:00 am – 1:00 pm (Contact Sandy: email@example.com )
- Saturdays, contact Claudia: firstname.lastname@example.org
News from the last three Thursday vigils at Advantage in Wood Dale:
** On Thursday, May 29, we estimate that FOUR children’s beating hearts were stopped.
** A couple in their early 20’s, Jose and Carla, were at the clinic to get the “Plan B” drug. They have a 1 year old at home and were worried that they might be pregnant again so soon. They listened as Laura explained that “Plan B” can kill a baby by preventing the fertilized egg from implanting. Laura also told them about CareNet, the nearby pregnancy resource center. Carla was very interested. You can read more about Plan B here: http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/worlds-top-authority-on-morning-after-pill-says-women-must-be-told-it-may-c It is currently in debate, however, the key to consider is that its use is on the rise, because Plan B doesn’t get at the heart of the real problem - our culture’s casual view of the sacredness of sexual intimacy.
** On Thursday, June 5, we estimate that SEVEN women chose to end the fragile life that had been entrusted to their care.
** We met a man named Nate who was “just the driver” for a young woman in her 20’s. He has a child whom he is very proud of, but couldn’t make the connection that he is helping someone else kill their child. Laura even gave him the scenario that if he saw someone beating a child, he would stop it and Nate agreed. However, he said he “didn’t want to think about it” when Laura described what happens to a baby during an abortion. Please pray for Nate’s mind to be opened and the woman he brought to find healing.
** On Thursday, June 12, we estimate that FOUR babies’ lives were ended before they had barely begun.
** One couple in their late 20’s came out after the abortion and the woman looked devastated. When I approached her with a rose and a Project Rachel brochure, the man became extremely angry and yelled at me. The woman, though, was looking at me with such desperate eyes that I continued to hold out the information for her. This made the man even angrier and he threw a pop can at me. Don’t worry, I ducked, but sadly, the woman was not able to break free from his anger to reach out for the hope I was offering. One of our prayer warriors commented that this is a horrible form of abuse that men too often impose on women. Please pray that men will accept the role of protector of the family and women will find strength through God to resist this type of pressure.
** A beautiful young woman named Yulesis came to Advantage for an ultra-sound of her 8 week old baby. She came alone and told me that her husband had lost his job; she doesn’t work, so they don’t have any insurance. This is why her doctor at Alexian Brothers sent her to Advantage, because they offer reduced rate ultrasounds. We were shocked to hear that a doctor at a Catholic Hospital is referring patients to an abortion clinic. One of our group contacted Alexian. Yulesis began tearing up when I told her Advantage is an abortion clinic, but regained her smile when I offered her a pair of blue booties… I have a feeling it’s a boy and she told me that is what her husband, an engineer, is hoping for! Please pray for her husband to find work soon and for Yulesis to seek care from a doctor who respects life. She left with a hug and information for CareNet.
Pray for These Wood Dale Employees
- Nancy: Office manager and post-abortive woman
- Dr. Goyal: owner and operator of Wood Dale and 3 other suburban and 1 Chicago abortion mill
- *Marisela: Listed as “Medical Records,” She has been sarcastic to us in the past, often sent out to bring unsure women back in.
- Eugene: Orderly/POC. We believe POC stands for “Product of Conception,” which is how abortion clinics refer to babies. This job may require him to reassemble the aborted babies’ precious bodies to make sure no parts were left inside the mother.
- *Jocelyn: works behind the front desk. Started on May 22.
- *Jessica: Newer employee, took over as cashier when Carmen quit.
* Starred have a copy of the Abby Johnson letter. You can print a copy of the letter here:www.attwn.org/wp-content/themes/attwn-child/images/attwn-onepage-lightbackground.pdf.