"You will be my treasured possession." (Exodus 19:5)
Priests for Life has a book of daily pro-life reflections. This is from today's reflection, "Dr. James McMahon was an abortionist in Southern California and performed partial-birth abortions. When asked by the American Medical Association news how he justified doing it, he admitted that the baby was a child, but then said there was a more important question, 'Who owns the child? It's got to be the mother,' he explained."
As people of Life, we know that the mother most certainly does not "own" the child. But, to me the central issue that has been forgotten in our country (one that Dr. James McMahon has forgotten) is the truth that no one can stake a claim on another's life, because each one of us belongs to God. We belong to Him, not as a slave, but as a treasured son or daughter. If each person recognized their own inherent dignity and worth as God's precious child, they would be able to see others as His children too. From the newly conceived child in the womb, to the youth with special needs, to the elderly grandma with Alzheimer's. We must constantly have this thought on our mind, "I am a child of God, His treasured possession." Then, hopefully, we will act like it!
News from July and August vigils at the Wood Dale Abortion Clinic:
** During the summer months of July and August we estimate that 150 human beings lost their lives at Advantage Health Care.
** There were 4 SAVES at the clinic in July! Plus a bonus save through texting!
- One couple drove into the lot but the woman refused to get out. After talking to her for awhile the man convinced her to go in. However, they came out again and sat talking. Finally, they drove off for good and were not seen again!
- Another woman, Vanessa, spent half an hour talking to a sidewalk counselor. She had brought her sister-in-law, Cindy, for an abortion because Cindy felt like she couldn't afford another child. She has 6 children. Both women were crying and ultimately Cindy decided to keep her seventh child!
- Yet another woman chose life in a very dramatic way when she came running out of the clinic crying. She received lots of support and love from those on the sidewalk.
- The "bonus" save happened when a woman, Lorena, pulled up alone to talk to the women praying on the sidewalk. She explained that her step-daughter, Doris, was being pressured to abort by her boyfriend, but Lorena wanted to help her. We gave her a gift bag full of information, candy, and baby socks. Later on that day, Lorena reached out to me through text and I was able to connect her to CareNet. She recently texted me that Doris talked to a counselor and is keeping the baby. She is one happy grandma!
** There were also 4 SAVES in August!
- Jay and Elizabeth chose life after speaking to one of our sidewalk counselors.
- A young Middle-Eastern couple with a young baby came to the clinic telling us they were getting birth control. The woman went into the clinic, but came out a short time later. As they left, they stopped to talk to the prayer warriors. The young mother admitted that she had lied to them earlier about why she was there. She was pregnant and seeking information about abortion. Then she told them that because they were there praying, they had changed their mind and were keeping the baby! Praise God! All you need to do is show up to pray and let God do the rest!
** Advantage finally brought the clinic up to code as far as having a back-up generator. It's unbelievable that this clinic has been operating on women for years without one.
-On the day it was installed we met Rick, the truck driver who delivered the generator. He shared his story of how he saved his oldest child from abortion 21 years ago. In contrast, another man, Mike, riding by on his bike stopped to pray and mourn for his child who would have been 25 years old if his girlfriend had not gone behind his back and aborted the baby. He questioned, "How much different would my life have been with my son?" He named his son Michael Jr. The difference between these two men was very visible. Whereas Rick appeared very self-assured and content with his current life, Mike was a broken man whose life he admitted had not turned out well. Rick has three sons. Mike never had any children except the one he lost to abortion. The negative consequences of abortion are so far reaching and devastating.
** Are you being called to show up to pray and let God do the rest? Join us on any Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday in Wood Dale. You do not have to interact with the people entering or leaving. Simply standing in prayer is enough. Please feel free to call us (847-651-4877) if you would like more information about what standing vigil is all about or look on-line at www.NorthWestFamiliesForLife.weebly.com.
Pray for These Abortion Employees
Our vigil update writer: