This is one of the most well-known Scripture passages and, yet, have you ever taken it piece by piece and really thought about what it means? The promises it holds? The images it creates?
It seems to me that there are actually seven promises included in this passage:
1. “I shall not want.” When we think of this, we have to be careful to look at “want” vs. “need.” The verse does not promise to provide for our every need. However, it clearly explains that if you accept that God is in charge you will be free from the nagging “wants” that can distract us, like “wanting” wealth, new clothes, car, popularity, more time in the day, etc. We can rest in the idea that God has got me where He “wants” me.
2. “He makes me lie down in green pastures.” This is one of my favorite images in this passage. Who doesn’t like the idea of lying in the cool, green grass relaxing? God can be this type of an oasis in your day. Sometimes it can be hard to carve out time to pray, but maybe instead of traditional prayer, take some time to just imagine God asking you to lie down in green pastures to rest, focus on Him, and soak up His goodness. Is God trying to “make” you lie down in peace right now?
3. “He leads me beside quiet waters.” Water is a source of life. So we can imagine God offering not only rest but also rejuvenation and refreshment. Look for where he is leading you to find that refreshment, in a prayer vigil, a Bible study, at the side of a friend in need. Take His lead.
4. “He restores my soul.” Why would a soul need to be restored? Sin. Sin is the scourge of the soul. Sin damages our souls. But God promises that He will indeed “restore” our soul, fill it with the shining light of the Holy Spirit when we come to Him with sorrow and repentance to seek His forgiveness. There is no sin too great, even the sin of abortion, which God will not forgive.
The last three promises in the next update!
UPDATE on SPECIAL PRAYER INTENTION
The kidney transplant two weeks ago was a complete success! Maria and our dad Frank are both doing well. Maria even feels good enough to return to vigil this week! Thank you for all of the prayers for our family. We felt the Lord’s love and support flowing through you every step of the way.
VIGIL OPPORTUNITIES FOR THIS WEEK
Please the vigil schedule page for days of the week and times when faithful people will be praying outside of Chicago-land abortion facilities. Be especially aware that every day during the Lent 40 Days for Life (Saturdays and Sundays too!) you can join a vigil in Downers Grove, Aurora, and Wood Dale.
News from the last two Thursdays’ Forest View vigils:
** On Thursday, March 6, we estimate that TWO babies died at Forest View Medical Center.
** Our counselor Dawn called out to two women on their way into the clinic and they came over to talk to her and were interested in the Women’s Center. However, as Dawn began walking with them towards the Women’s Center, one of them burst into tears sobbing telling Dawn that it was too late. She was only coming to Forest View today for a follow up appointment after her abortion. The woman said, “I wish you were here on that Saturday.” Dawn gave her a Project Rachel and invited her to come pray with us to help others.
** Some people have shown interest in being part of a Saturday vigil at Forest View. We will be contacting you soon if you responded because from the previous story we can so clearly see that God is calling us to minister on Saturdays. If you would like to be included in a meeting about Saturday vigils, please reply to this email.
** On Thursday, March 13, we estimate that NINE women succumbed to the lie that abortion is the only solution to their “problem” of pregnancy.
** One couple chose LIFE! Kaelynn (20ish) and Dominic (27) arrived at 7:45 am for an abortion. Dawn was there to greet them and let them know that it was not a safe place for them. Kaelynn told Dawn that Dominic did not want the abortion, but she didn’t feel financially ready for a baby. Dawn told her about all the help available and gently offered the option of adoption. Dominic was reluctant to go with them to the Women’s Center, but when Dawn called out, “We’re going to save your baby’s life!” he saw the light and joined them. After meeting with the WC counselor, they left smiling and kept hugging and thanking Dawn. Dawn said that the relief on Kaelynn’s face was unmistakable. Please pray for this young couple as they discern their options for this child. Praise God!
Pray for These Forest View Employees
- Nancy: Office manager and post-abortive woman
- Dr. Goyal: owner and operator of Forest View and 4 other suburban and 1 Chicago abortion mill
- Samantha: Was “just answering phones” as a way to make money for culinary school 3 years ago when we first met her. Now she has quit school and appears to be thoroughly invested in the business of abortion. Listed as a “Health Educator.”
- *Carmen: New employee, cashier, Catholic. Has Women's Center and Project Rachel cards to give to women inside the clinic. Pray she will be inspired by the Spirit to hand them out.
- *Marisela: Listed as “Medical Records,” She has been sarcastic to us in the past, often sent out to bring unsure women back in.
- *Lisette: New employee as a “Health Educator,” sister of Samantha.
* starred have a copy of the Abby Johnson letter. You can print a copy of the letter here: www.attwn.org/wp-content/themes/attwn-child/images/attwn-onepage-lightbackground.pdf.