“I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but not everything is constructive. (1 Corinthians 10:23)
I'm sure I'm not the only one still reeling from the Supreme Court Decision last Friday which stripped away states' rights to decide on the issue of same-sex unions, making same-sex "marriage" legal in all 50 states. It is ironic that this decision is being touted as "liberty" and "freedom." Sadly, it will have exactly the opposite effect on our country. The Scripture above explains that liberty is not merely an individual preference or desire, nor an end to itself, but it is to be used for the common good. If you need help explaining how this decision will affect many aspects of our daily life and go against the common good, get a detailed description of the far-reaching consequences in Massachusetts since legalization in 2003. For example, "People can now get fired from their job for expressing religious objections to same-sex 'marriage.'" "Businesses are often 'tested' for tolerance by homosexual activists... who go into restaurants or bars and publicly kiss and fondle each other to test whether the establishment demonstrates sufficient 'equality.'" "Every year more state money goes to deal with the high incidence of homosexual domestic violence." To read more effects from Massachusetts: www.massresistance.org/docs/marriage/effects_of_ssm_2012/index.html
This will also have consequences to the pro-life community. With more "marriages" that cannot produce their own children, there will be a larger market for children; Thus, turning a child into a commodity to be obtained instead of a precious gift from God. Many of these couples will turn to in vitro fertilization which comes at great cost to Life.
However, as a people of hope, we know God has the final decision. Great heroes are born from great conflicts. For more words of encouragement from the gifted writer David E. Smith of Illinois Family Institute, read "Don't Lose Heart" at www.illinoisfamily.org/articles. As with the Roe v. Wade decision 42 years ago, we have never given up fighting for truth and the protection of children. And we never will!
IMPORTANT UPDATE to 4th of July Parade Information:
The Arlington Heights group will join with NorthWest Families for Life in the Palatine Parade. Since both marches are on the same day this year, the Arlington Heights Life group has decided to change plans and march with us in Palatine to create a large joyful group!
Saturday, July 4, 10:15 am - March under the banner of Life in the Palatine 4th of July Parade
Join us to share our respect for all LIFE and dedication to liberty for all as endowed by God our Creator. Parades are an excellent way to bear witness to the community and inspire others to be emboldened in their pro-life beliefs. It provides a spirit of unity.
* Meet at 10:15 am (parade starts at 11:00 am) at spot #70 lined up on Wood St. just east of Quentin.
* You can park in the Commuter Parking Deck at Colfax and Smith St. Then cross the tracks and head west on Wood to our line-up area.
* Look for mylar balloons with "It's a Boy" and "It's a Girl!" We are 2 spots behind the Little Sisters of the Poor :-)
* Limited number of T-shirts proclaiming "Without LIFE, Liberty is Meaningless" will be provided free that day on a first come basis, but if you marched with us before, please wear your shirt or feel free to wear another pro-life t-shirt.
* We will have signs for you to hold with positive pro-life messages.
* Contact Maria: email@example.com 847-705-9593
News from vigils in Wood Dale:
** In June, we estimate that 61 women made the "choice" to have their babies murdered at Advantage Health Care in Wood Dale.
** One father spent a long time talking to one of our counselors while his girlfriend was inside the clinic killing his child. Rodrigo said he is Catholic and knew he would have to "face the consequences for this before God at death." Despite recognizing the sin he was helping commit, he felt powerless to protect his child. This is sadly very common among the men we meet. Some are indifferent, but some wish they could do something but don't know how. We need to talk to our young men and boys so that they will become strong men who will respect their own sexuality and courageously respect the women in their lives as well. One tool you can provide to the young men in your life is an excellent booklet entitled "Pure Manhood" by Jason Evert. It will help them see sexuality in a new light and give them the spiritual tools they need to stay pure. www.shop.catholic.com/pure-manhood-set.html
** There was an unexpected blessing one day when a young very pregnant woman pulled into the clinic lot and asked if she could pray with us. After she moved her car :-), she joined us in prayer and shared her beautiful story of redemptive love that brought her there. She had had an abortion years before and gone down the path of drinking and self-hatred that too many post-abortive women do. Blessedly, a friend invited her repeatedly to a prayer group and one day she finally accepted. That was the beginning of God's glorious healing power in her life and that of her boyfriend. Today they are married, devoted to the Lord, and expecting a child in July. Please offer a prayer of thanksgiving for God's amazing grace and the strength of Carla to share her story. In fact, she was even inspired that day to call out with words of hope and love to a woman leaving the clinic after an abortion. Praise God!
** There were more blessings on Saturday, June 20, when 2 women chose LIFE!
** There was a heartwarming moment when a boy of about 13 came walking down the sidewalk toward our group. He stopped to ask if we were accepting donations. I asked him what he knew about abortion and he said, "It gets rid of a baby." I gently corrected, "It kills a baby." His face grew serious as he shook his head. He readily accepted a pro-life newspaper and even started reading it as he continued on his way home. There is much hope for our future as the youth in our country become more and more pro-life.
** The weather is beautiful for outdoor prayer! Join us any Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday for any length of time between 6:30 am - 11:00 am. Your presence makes a difference to the women, to the men, to those who pass by. Call or email us for more info: Laura 847-651-4877 or Maria firstname.lastname@example.org
Pray for These Abortion Employees
- Nancy: Office manager and post-abortive woman
- Dr. Goyal: owner and operator of Wood Dale and 3 other suburban and 1 Chicago abortion mill
- *Marisela: Listed as “Medical Records,” She has been sarcastic to us in the past, often sent out to bring unsure women back in.
- Eugene: Orderly/POC. We believe POC stands for “Product of Conception,” which is how abortion clinics refer to babies. This job may require him to reassemble the aborted babies’ precious bodies to make sure no parts were left inside the mother.
- Marcelino and Omar: drivers of the "Medical Waste" truck that comes to the clinic every Tuesday morning.
* Starred have a copy of the Abby Johnson letter to clinic workers. You can print a copy of it here: www.attwn.org/wp-content/themes/attwn-child/images/attwn-onepage-lightbackground.pdf.
Our vigil update writer: