As we begin October, we see signs of death all around us. The flowers of summer die back, leaves fall to the ground, trees appear stark against gray skies, and the world seems to almost go into hibernation. Well, as easy as it would be to go into a bit of “hibernation” ourselves, that is not what we are called to do. As Jesus says in the above Scripture, He came so that we may have life and not just any kind of life - life to the full, life “abundantly” in some translations. Does that sound like hibernation? Nope. It sounds like we are commissioned to get out there and live our lives as outward signs of God in the world. But not just for our own benefit, also to ensure that all people - the unborn, the handicapped, the mentally challenged, the elderly, and those near death - are encouraged and allowed to live their lives to the fullest,. So, like we do in every October newsletter, we are placing the upcoming events section up top. Now you can find an event that inspires you to get out there and do something to promote the dignity of the kind of life that Jesus desires for us - Life to the full!
News from September vigils in Wood Dale:
** During the month of September, we estimate that 45 women made a “choice” that ended a child’s life and changed their own lives forever.
** There were, however, 2 SAVES in September!
- Ashley was dropped off at the clinic and entered all alone. At about 9:15 she came out of the clinic to “think about it.” One of our sidewalk counselors, Steve, was right there to offer help asking, “What can I do to help you change your mind today?” They began to talk and Ashley told Steve that she had been drinking heavily (despite her looking only about 19 years old) and was worried the baby had been harmed. Steve asked if he could pray with her and her response spoke volumes, “You would do that for me?” Many women who come for an abortion are expecting judgement and condemnation from those outside praying. It is always such a blessing when their eyes are opened to see in us the God who loves each human created in His image. Ashley borrowed Steve’s phone to call her mom to pick her up right then and she did not go back into the clinic. Pray for Ashley to stand strong for her baby.
- An Hispanic couple chose life for their child on a Thursday. Praise God!
** For those children who lost their lives, they were loved and prayed for by our sidewalk counselors and prayer warriors so they did not die alone.
** Many women leaving the clinic received a pamphlet for post-abortive healing through Project Rachel. Our Saturday late shift sidewalk counselor has been full of the Spirit as she has reached out to and had conversations with several women and drivers lately. She could still use more prayer support on Saturdays from 10:00 am - 12:00 pm. Let us know if you could be there at this most important time of the vigil.
** Standing vigil is also a ministry to the wider community. Many days a passer-by will stop to ask us what we are doing there, providing an excellent opportunity to educate and inform. We have Human Life Alliance newspapers (www.humanlife.org) with tons of information for people to take home and really consider the facts. On one Thursday, Laura was able to talk to a dog-walker, a utilities man, and one of the many construction workers on Irving Park! This public ministry is one of the reasons why 40 Days for Life 24 - 7 prayer vigils are such a wonderful opportunity. Check for the one nearest you and step out in faith for an hour!
** Are you feeling called to join a prayer vigil at a clinic but nervous to take that first step? Please email or call us. We were once just like you! We would love to offer information, advice, and support. Maria: NWFL526@gmail.com or Laura: 847-651-4877.
Pray for These Abortion Employees
- Nancy: Office manager and post-abortive woman
- Dr. Goyal: owner and operator of Wood Dale and 3 other suburban and 1 Chicago abortion mill
- *Marisela: Listed as “Medical Records,” She has been sarcastic to us in the past, often sent out to bring unsure women back in.
- Eugene: Orderly/POC. We believe POC stands for “Product of Conception,” which is how abortion clinics refer to babies. This job may require him to reassemble the aborted babies’ precious bodies to make sure no parts were left inside the mother.